Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Tuesday, May 17 - Aurangabad Caves and Indian Train Experience

Happy Tuesday! 

Last night we stayed in a very nice hotel. That meant that we not only had a pretty comfortable bed (vs. the nearly rock hard ones we’ve had hitherto this point), but we also had a beautiful bathroom and shower, plus free wifi that actually worked decently well! So naturally I caught up on a few SWE emails and things prior to turning in for the night. Also, this hotel had the funniest memes and quotes all over—from framed stories posted on the bathroom stalls, to similar stories on the hallways by our rooms, to decorating the placemats we had in the dinning area. I'll come back to upload a few as others share their photos. 

As we departed from the hotel early the next morning we drove a few hours to Ajanta Buddhist Caves (a group of 30). Unfortunately we only had time to be guided through two of the caves (cave #1 and #10) before we needed to depart to ensure we’d make it to the train station in time to catch the train to Mumbai. Cave #1 was very beautiful, with ornate paintings and intricate hand etched sculptings on the pillars and ceilings. There was even a giant Buddha in this cave! Our tour guide told us a lot of history but to be honest, I don’t recall much of it because I was so hot in this cave from our walk. Anyways, but the time we got to cave #10, I had cooled down some and remember more of the significance to it. It was actually the first cave spotted/discovered which lead to the continued excavation and eventual discovery of the 30 Buddhist caves. Additionally, it is the largest of the 30 discovered caves. Gabi took this picture of me in it. (If you trust wikipedia, click on the link in the cave name above if you'd like to read more of the history). As any good group of Michigan students, before heading to the bus, it was time for a photo-op with the University of Michigan flag. I’m waiting on the group picture from a friend, but this is an individual Michigan picture. 


The rest of the day we essentially spent traveling (bus from the caves to the train station, train from Aurangabad to Mumbai, and then bused to the nice hostel we were at last time when we were in Mumbai). So this train station experience was probably the first true experience that has impressed upon me at of how crowded India actually is beyond congested roadways. In the station as the train announcements became more frequent warning of the approaching train, my future fellow passengers pressed tighter and tighter, squeezing like sardines onto the platform. Yes, indeed this was worse than the BBaits spooning with random strangers... Once the train stopped, in my opinion, madness ensued. A few passengers were trying to deboard but the people on the platform were already trying to board the train! It was one large bottleneck with people and luggage. I was the last of the group and literally barely boarded with my luggage as the train started to move. Then there was about ten of us stuck in the connection between railcars because the cabin on the one side where we thought our tickets were was completely filled up! Turns out we were in the next cabin and were able to get our seats, but still it was difficult. Note to self— next time I know I’ll be traveling on a train as a tourist (probably next month in Europe) only have “luggage” that can be carried on your back so you can get a set and for sure have a place to store your luggage with much less chaos. 


From our train journey here are a few things that confused and slightly surprised or concerned me. First of all, at the train station there is nothing preventing people from crossing the tracks. So while there was a overpass to walk through to the other side about 100 feet from me, I witnessed many individuals and families (with young children) passing on the tracks in the short 10 minutes I was paying attention. Secondly, when we stopped at each successive station, an influx of people selling various food and refreshments boarded the train to bombard passengers… I found this weird and kind of annoying to be perfectly honest because it blocked the aisles and it was a ruckus. For instance, one weird snack Akanksha purchased were Fruit Cakes with questionable "may have laxative effects" ingredients... Thirdly, I discovered that the toilet consisted of either a hole (squatty potty) or traditional Western style toilet without a drain but instead a pipe that opens to the track below…So ya, it didn’t smell too bad in the washrooms because everything leaves the train immediately, but that also means that the train stations had a wonderful aroma about them that the hot, humid climate has not helped much. I know I've gained a new respect to those that use public transit in India daily and thankfulness that I'm not planning on doing so again in the near future...

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing caves! That's one of my favorite things so I'm glad you got to experience that! You're learning more about traveling as well, and some tips and tricks which will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete