Friday, June 17, 2016

Monday, June 13 - Polish Wise Words

Well today I realized, I may move half-way across the world, but I am still a college student. After all, if you took inventory of what I currently have to eat in my dorm is - 1 yogurt, half a zucchini, 2 apples, half a loaf of bread, 1 instant cup of noodles, lots of granola bars, and a liter of water. Yum, 4-course meals here y'all! At least I have most of my food groups covered :) Don't worry parents, I do eat, I'm just currently trying to still figure out how to cook at my place when I have fridge space smaller than my hand (and this is not an over-exaggeration either)! #SixWomenOneFridge

I also want to share some of my personal favorite things I have learned from my time in Warsaw. I'll start with a brief language lesson that I was given within my first week. A friend texted me "Nie ma za co" which means "you're welcome," so a useful phase if you actually help someone. Honestly, "thank you" or "hi" would probably have been a more useful first lesson, but it is the age of the internet and I do know how to use google translate...

To contrast, "Kurwa" was the word the interns learned together as our first vocab lesson during our first night out. Unsurprisingly, this means F***, [insert any profane word] it is basically interchangeable. The advise- if you hear someone saying this repeatedly at you or on the phone, or in general, stand clear, and agree with them, UNLESS you are a woman. Why? Because Kurwa also means whore, and well, enough said. Oh and why it's not surprising that this was included in our first language lesson is because Poles swear A LOT. Plus many of them like to swear in English (even when the rest of the sentence was in Polish sometimes). So many people I've met, even those that are still working on being more fluent in English, still enjoy swearing in English --perhaps if a fad. ;)

My favorite sign thus far has been "Come hungry, leave drunk" on the front door of a bar/restaurant. Thank you Polish people for being completely honest and telling the TRUTH!

My favorite thing I've seen in the store thus far has to be this:

Must be a really bad drink ;) 

1 comment:

  1. It's always good to learn the slang wherever you go! Polish cuisine sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete